About Me

My photo
Hello! I am a big health and fitness junkie and absolutely love this aspect of my life. I am a Registered Yoga Teacher and big time Crossfitter. I get my sweat on through Crossfit, Yoga, hiking and running mostly. I live in Phoenix and love the sun and love to play outdoors!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Meditation

Mantras and meditation go hand in hand. In one of my older posts, I posted the Asato Ma mantra, which I really like because it signifies a surrender to something greater, spiritual or not. It's a means of asking for help or guidance, and let's face it, we could all use a little bit of that each day.

Some things I've learned about meditation is that you need to do only enough to being yourself inward. It's like a mental escape from daily life into a calm place of just you. Mantras are meant to be repeated over and over and are a key to finding self awareness and meditation. A typical mantra said during meditation is repeated 108 times. It seems like a lot, but it really doesn't have to be. You could use a sound for your mantra instead of some lengthy meaningful thing that you probably can't pronounce. One of my personal favorite sound mantras is the "so-hum". With each inhale you say either aloud or mentally, "so" and exhale with "hum".

Personally I like the sound mantras better because they don't necessarily have a meaning. They are so basic you don't really have to think about them (such as which line comes next). The mindlessness of it allows you to free your mind of thoughts or emotions and completely retract inward.

Give it a try. If you find sitting with spine erect to be uncomfortable, I often do my meditation laying down in savasana, corpse pose.

Namaste!