About Me

My photo
Hello! I am a big health and fitness junkie and absolutely love this aspect of my life. I am a Registered Yoga Teacher and big time Crossfitter. I get my sweat on through Crossfit, Yoga, hiking and running mostly. I live in Phoenix and love the sun and love to play outdoors!

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Kundalini and Ahimsa (Yama)

Kundalini is a style of yoga known as Pranayama - or a yoga focused on the breath, rather than the physical poses, or asanas. Kundalini's focus is to clear the senses and allow the yogi to unleash their Shakti - the force within that lies coiled in the lower spine in the lumbar region. Through fast paced breathing exercises where you "keep up to be kept up", this energy is pushed up the spine and into the three curvatures of the spine, allowing the yogi a new sense of energy and stimulation to the glandular system (higher in the neck).

To be honest, I need to attend more Kundalini classes. I found that the class was difficult because you use very short breath over a long period of time - causing lightheadedness. I'm not terribly fond of this style of yoga, which brings me to the next point...

Ahimsa is the first rule of Yama. Ahimsa is the practice of non-violence. Thinking of this and comparing it to my not-so-favorite Kundalini practice, I realized that yoga is highly individual. No style is better than another, just simply different. While I prefer asana practices, ESP power yoga, hatha-gong, or hot yoga, "my yoga is not holier than thou's" is in the back of my mind - I shouldn't take a stance against practices I dislike, but should explore them to further deepen my own practices and to figure out what exactly works best for me.

Namaste